Tuesday, July 13, 2010

San Francisco Silent Film Festival

banner_preoccupation

A glorious weekend of silent film presented at the beautiful Castro with great music and engaging and educational pre-show slideshow presentations. Metropolis (Germany, 1927) is already sold out! My slideshow is on Shanghai for the film A Spray of Plum Blossoms (China, 1931), although that program is 2pm on Friday, but I'll be there!

Although Louise Brooks is always breathtaking... oh Louise...
Louise Brooks ...I've already seen Diary of a Lost Girl (Germany, 1929) a couple times at the Castro, and so I have to admit though, I am really looking forward to seeing Haxan [English title: The Witches] at the Castro.

Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (Denmark/Sweden, 1922)
Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (Denmark/Sweden, 1922)

I watched it for the second time recently with friends and it is as interesting, serious, and totally bat-shit nutso as I remembered. It will be beyond, beyond to see it on the big screen with music by the Matti Bye Ensemble. It is a huge deal as the Ensemble is coming all the way from Sweden to play for this program!

A series of three amazing blog posts on The Obscure Hollow about this amazing film can be found here, here, and here with TONS and TONS of great photos.

Be still my beating heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment